Tuesday, September 17, 2013

not ringing a bell

Day 11 of Blogtember is simply a memory you'd love to relive.

Unfortunately for you - perhaps luckily? - I don't have a great memory for moments. I focus so much on the present and on the future that my memories quickly fade. I often blame it on mamacita-brain or hormones, but in reality, I remember thinking as a child that I couldn't remember things vividly beyond the grade I was in the year before.

That being said - just real quick, I have to bring myself to fame in the realm of remembering people and their stories. There isn't a face in entertainment that I can't place, a voice I can't pinpoint to a show we watched ten years ago, or a backstory that I can't give you (slightly inaccurate but desperately attempted) details about.  I have some serious talent and if ever a gameshow named "The Face" airs on CBS, I'm your winner winner chicken dinner. Also, song lyrics. I will crush you. Also, events. I'm usually right.

BUT, when it comes to things like memories of things I've lived, I bow gracefully out of the competition. 

I remember M's birth pretty well until I don't remember anything because I've passed out from pain and blood loss and the whole shebang. E's birth is remembered fondly, down to the smallest of details. My meeting Mr. B and our love story is etched into my forever lobe. **Those are pretty much the big guns of my life which is why I reference them every 2.4 sentences.**

I would love to relive those memories, tweaking a few things - like near-death-experiences - a wee bit. Above all, though, I think I'd like to relive our wedding because I don't remember much of it.

I remember waking up what I thought was early (6am ain't nothing for a mama anymore) and went with my dad to get pancakes the morning the first of his daughters got married. I have fond memories of that, except I have no memories of what actually happened (six am? Y'all.). I just remember being....fond of it.

(All photos are ripped off of Facebook because our wedding photo cd is packed away! Thanks to all who posted them because six and a half years later, I need them!)


I'm fond.

I remember our precious flower girls getting ready and my sister getting into town and giving me the Rosary that I carried down the aisle. I remember taking goofy photos with my other sister and laughing about who knows what because we laugh at everything. I remember my best friend playing interference for any problems that arose.

I remember desperately trying to not hurt anyone's feelings and hearing through the infamous and deadly vine of the grape that we had inadvertently and unintentionally hurt everyone's feelings. Whoops and failure. And I think I'll skip reliving all of that.

Promise, we meant well. And I will have a large forehead forever and ever, amen.

I remember standing at the back of the church before walking down the aisle and seeing Mr. B standing in the front. 


Back of the church, post-nuptials. Thanks, Kristin!

I vaguely remember the vows that bind us together until death.


Photographic proof we didn't imagine this covenant. Courtesy of  Kristen Bednarz's amazing skills!

More proof that we were not photogenic on our wedding day. Or ever.

I remember the altar boys putting two kneelers together after we had taken our vows and leaving a few inches in between then and our priest whispering loud enough for us to hear: "Put them closer together - they're married now for goodness' sake." 

And then I remember snippets from our reception, mostly that it was freezing so a kindly soul turned down the A/C and then it was super ridiculously hot (hello, Houston in summer time). 


The [literally] hot couple.

Fading faster than a Marty McFly photo.
I remember leaving the reception and calling our dear [shocked and incredulous] friend as we pulled a u-turn because I realized I had left my purse that held all identification that would allow me to jump on a plane to Puerto Rico the next day.


Said shocked friend.

And I remember going to Chile's to get wings and queso afterwards.

Even though that seems like a lot, there are a whole lot of gaps that are blurred out and I'd love to remember marrying the love of my life. 



Thankfully love never fades.


2 comments:

  1. I remember how beautiful you looked and how handsome Mr.B was! And for the record, I don't remember brewing either cold OR hot at your reception! You weren't there for the after-party in the hotel parking lot, but your guests had a wonderful time!

    Once you unpack, you should totally look at your wedding cd and relive it. I bet you remember more than you realize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree that you're not photogenic. You were a beautiful bride, handsome couple. Not unusual not to remember the actual church ceremony much...too nervous! You remember much more than I ever would've. Thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete