Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Daybook for 3-13-13


Outside my window...

Windy! West Texas winds never fail. It's also beautiful, sunny, and the perfect combo of warm and cool when the dust isn't pelting your face.

I am thankful for...

The traditions of Holy Mother Church. Watching the coverage of the announcement of Pope Francis today, sitting next to my husband and two girls, was beautiful. It reminds me why I cling so strongly to the Traditional Mass. The pomp and circumstance we saw today (and in the Latin Mass) is what Catholics, ages before us, have witnessed.  

For spring break. I'm only one kid down during this week, but one kid does make a difference. Joseph is home a wee bit more this week, too!

Second job interviews. On Holy Saturday, one of the holiest days of the year. Penance and sacrifice for this intention? I'll take two. Ora pro nobis, all of Heaven.


I am thinking about...

Pope Francis. Trying to remember this momentous day. And praying for his reign.

Also, equally important, my Easter outfit.

(I kid. It's more important.)

(I kid again.)


In the Schoolroom...

Reading, reading, reading. That smart girl of ours scored 8/20 levels on a reading placement test that tested through age seven. She's got a natural proclivity toward geography, history, English, math, science, religion, languages...wait. I'm in trouble.

From the kitchen...

Trying to go paleo. Failing miserably. I like grain. I also frequently get sick after eating. Something's gotta give!


I am creating...

Boxes of packed items. I know we're not moving for months more, but I hate moving and I want to pack what we're not using. I just purged our biggest junk areas and hope to do one more round before the boxes are packed up. How do we have so much stuff we never, ever use?

I am working on...

Peace in all things. I'm such an anxious sort that any kind of change stresses me out and my weak little mind jumps to worst-case scenarios. 

A routine! Why can't I figure out a balance between school, cooking, loving on my two (three!) girls, and cleaning???? WHY?

Graduation! Announcements, presents, housing for out-of-town guests, job search, etc.! Who knew that I was supposed to have this all planned out months before it happens?

Lent. It's almost over and I feel like it hasn't been as fruitful as it could have been.

Clicking Around...

Pope coverage.

I am reading...

A Light To My Path by Lynn Austen. I read The Chronicles of the Kings by the same author and I LOVED it. This series is okay, but definitely not as good as Chronicles. 

I am praying for...

Our new papa - for his strength of faith, for his orthodoxy, the courage to clean house.

A job. A job, dear Lord, a job. Please. 

I am hearing...

LOST in the background, Joseph playing a game on his computer, quiet from the girls' room. Peace, joy, love.

Around the house...

Piles of purged items. Donate! Save! Throw away! Why do we have all this stuff? I hope the piles get removed from my house tomorrow.

A new herb garden! Mint, cilantro, chives, swiss chard, aloe vera. I can't wait for this little collection to grow. I love growing and nurturing things. Kind of sounds like I'm a Catholic mama, huh?

One of my favorite things...

Cauliflower pizza crust. Google it. Love it. Eat it oft.

Our trash can. I'm in a purging mood. 

LOST. Always with Lost. The show by which we judge all other shows.

Chronicles of the Kings, Mark of the Lion - I couldn't think of anything else, so I put my favorite books up.

A few plans for the rest of the week...

Tomorrow - purge! clean! Easter is coming! Graduation nears! A move looms! If I'm going 
to feel anxiety, I'm going to do something about it, at least.

Friday - a consignment sale to buy our growing girls wardrobes since they have approximately no spring/summer clothes; then a day off. Joseph and I both agreed to give each other one full day off during Spring Break. I plan on reading and sleeping intermittently. 


A picture thought...

I don't know much about the new Vicar of Christ, our Supreme Pontiff, our visible Head of the Church, but I do know this quote does much to calm my anxiety in regard to any misgivings. It was said to St. Francis of Assisi (who some say Our Holy Father chose his name from) by Our Lord. May he truly repair. And clean house. :-D


4 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited by this new Papa. Things just feel fresh and Spirit-filled, you know? And Francis! What a name. Who in your family is graduating? And is it you who is job searching, or your husband? Let me know so I can pray for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this! My husband graduated for law school! Prayers for him finding suitable employment would be great!

      Delete
  2. We watched the news all morning, hoping to see white smoke. We finally left for lunch and heard it on the radio. So we parked and listened to the radio for like 40 minutes in the parking lot. It was so exciting. How special for all those people that got to be there!

    I keep pinning cauliflower crusted items but haven't made any yet! The latest was a tiny bite sized treat topped with a single pepperoni. Maybe I'll do it this weekend!

    You know Jessica and I want to help/do Joseph's graduation party, so if you have specific wishes, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - as you know, Larry doesn't tolerate grain very well so I've toyed with totally cutting it out. (But frankly think it is too trendy to do so at the moment, so I refuse. Ha!) But I did think this was an interesting take: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2013/01/the-grain-controversy-should-we-eat-them-or-not.html

    ReplyDelete