Friday, August 22, 2014

7QT: in which I brag about my better three quarters


One.



This is what it looks like having a six-year old. This was taken at 6:30am, after we had dropped Joseph off at the train station and I toyed around with the idea of being lazy. I put a load of laundry on our bed, switched over laundry, came back and found this miracle of miracles. 

I've seen a series of blog posts hosted by a mystery blogger about having a seven-year old in the house and how it's changed the dynamic of the family. I agree - every baby should come with a six/seven-year old holding her. 

BUT, I don't remember the blogger or the name of the series and my internet search is turning up creepy results so I quit. Which means the second half of the take is useless to you, but I've talked to my people and I'll update when I find out what blog it is. 

UpdateThe Rhodes Log! My people came through.

I can't even remember life before Ellie turned about one and it's still sketchy before she turned two. I'm praying that if God blesses us with another little one one day, I'll actually remember those early years. 


Two.



This is what it looks like to have a competent six-year old. And a pile of unmatched sox. This blue contraption is something every family needs to own. It's an investment that is priceless. It gives you the gift of free hands while your children slave away. 


Three.



This same six-year old wrote me this note today and it made me a little wispy-eyed. She began drawing me 100 hearts underneath, decided to cross them out because there wasn't enough room, draw them on the back, but cut it down to ten hearts and label them 10, 20, 30, etc. because she thought I would be more impressed with the multiples of ten. I appreciate that. And underachiever with a good reason. Just like her mama


Four.




I have a lot about Molly and have to throw a few about Ellie in here, too. She's been keeping up with Molly's lessons pretty well and is eager to catch up with big sis. She's determined to read and read right now. She's also super good at math. 


And since Fr. Mozzie ruined the whole "make a copy of the worksheet" thing I wanted to do, I've had to handwrite her worksheets. In pink, of course. She loves them and excels at them. She's a precocious four-year old but has the attention span of, well, a four-year old and doesn't stick around for lessons too long. I'm good with that.


Five.


A few weeks ago, we were torturing ourselves by school supply shopping with the brick and mortar crowd when Ellie screamed out, "POPE FRANCIS!" I stopped and looked around (and consequently almost got trampled but I digress). She directed my attention to the above picture. She was so excited to show me the picture of where the Holy Father lives. 

I love having precious, though misinformed, Catholic babies who know more about Rome than the US. 

(PS - to the state of Texas who may be reading this, we have begun our required Good Citizenship course.)


Six.


If I'm going to quick-take about the two littles, it's only fair that I quick-take about this guy.

He's brilliant, and loving, and patient, and on the fast track to sainthood because he's married to moi. 

And sometimes he's annoying because he wears his socks like this, simply to be annoying.


With sandals. 


Seven.

But fashion disasters, aside, he's great. And he has a blog where he writes about things way smarter than the things I write about and in a way that is easy for his fellow attorneys who are agnostic, atheist, Protestant, liberal, aggressive, and lost to follow. Because that's what he does in his spare time - he dialogues with non-Catholics to flesh out their questions and concerns about Holy Mother Church and our beautiful Faith. Unlike his less charitable half, who hides in the shower so I can read a chapter in my latest book without the kids interrupting me. 

So, go visit his blog and flex those brain muscles a little today, k? Great.



Go visit Jen for more Quick Takes and pictures of a GORGEOUS vintage dress that I want.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT IS THIS LAUNDRY CONTRAPTION AND WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT IT LAST NIGHT?!?!

    Molly is the sweetest thing on earth. But Ellie gives the best performance of Sound of Music songs. So basically you have the best of both worlds.

    So good to see y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Rach! What is that blue oversized Lego contraption!?

    ReplyDelete