Friday, May 23, 2014

seven quick takes: in which I forego reclusiveness and had to look up that word to make sure it existed

Uno. Biggest news is that our newest godson was born yesterday, during Austin rush-hour traffic. And we were honored to be able to watch his two older siblings, but because our godson made his plans of debuting known at the veeeeery last minute, his siblings had to go to the hospital with their parents. After some stressful standstills and a few befuddled moments of falling prey to poor city planning and begging the intercession of the sweet babe's patron saints, all was good.

Dos. Yesterday our neighbor called us recluse. I call us hermits, it has a holier sound to it. But seriously, how does one socialize with neighbors? This is so foreign to me since we just moved from a house that had no houses at all within half a street of us. We say hi to them! We small talk when we run into them! What is proper etiquette on this??? Are we supposed to invite them over? Help!

Tres. This! I get to go! Thanks, Hallie, for the heads up on the returned ticket. Get your name on a waitlist, because you might be able to go, too! So, speaking of social etiquette, this will be awkward for the resident introvert manning this blog.

Four (my high school Spanish has worn itself out. How do you spell quatro? Why does that look weird. I don't want to look it up.). Mine and Joseph's seventh wedding anniversary is coming up. I looked up the anniversary gift list and the traditional gift is wool or copper and the modern is a desk set. The suggested gift list I found isn't really....up to par. I'm not thinking that a copper mailbox isn't feasible since we have community mailboxes and a wool sweater doesn't scream June 2nd anniversary. So I'm thinking a steel wool scrubber brush for our pots and pans. It's a win-win-win since it would be a gift for me for him to do dishes all the time, too. I'll even get it in a copper color. I'm a genius.

Five. I committed to a homeschool co-op for next fall and spring. Classically Catholic Memory is a really neat curriculum written by homeschoolers here in Austin. There's a co-op not far from our house. I bought the curriculum for next year and then discovered that there are co-ops, too, so we've joined the ranks of CCM'ers. I also found another group that is more focused on field trips and socialization, so watch out, world, the Behnkes are coming out of the hermitage.

Six. This weekend, those who serve, particularly those who have died serving, will be remembered in my prayers. My family is a long line of military - army and air force, in particular - and I have a special place in my heart for them. I really love offering up my plenary indulgences for souls in purgatory I don't know; there are times when I offer them for souls that I don't know, but have heard of and wondered if anyone has offered indulgences and prayers for the repose of his or her soul. The two souls that I'm going to offer any plenary indulgence that I may earn are this incredible man and this incredible man. Their quiet lives inspire me and I pray for their eventual sainthood. And if you haven't read The Shadow of His Wings by Fr. Goldmann, please do yourself a favor and buy it yesterday. It moved me more than any book I've read in recent memory. I lent it out and I'm getting hives not having immediate access to it. I kid, Dad. I'll just steal it back. I've done it before and I have no shame in doing it again.

Anyway - point being, maybe try to get a plenary indulgence this weekend on behalf of a holy soul in Purgatory who served his or her country in a particularly holy way. Good citizenship is a virtue (so long as that good citizenship doesn't include breaking moral or natural law!). And did you know you can get a plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions, by saying a family Rosary? And since this is the month of May - the month of Mary - break out the beads or fingers and say a Rosary for a fallen soldier! :)

And a special hat tip to those we know and love that serve our country - My grandfathers, my father, Uncle Captain Nick, Molly's godfather, and some dear, dear friends. We continually pray for their safety and ask blessings upon their sacrifice. Working for the government is no great reward, this we, the family of a state employee, know to be true (ahem, drone reading this....).

Seven. I have nothing else to write about. I was seriously squeezing each ounce of interesting out of my week.

2 comments:

  1. So excited that you're coming to Edel!!! Can't wait to give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, too! We share a love of all things vintage and fashion, so I thiiiiiink we'll be able to find something to squeal about. :)

      Delete